To oversee the daily operations of all fitness related services. To ensure appropriate programming, staffing, supplies and customer service is being delivered to our members and clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise fitness specialists and testing associates.
- Responsible for the hiring and training of all fitness associates.
- Assist in the planning, marketing and promotion of member incentive programs.
- Oversee monthly work schedules for all fitness associates to administer all necessary services, including testing, fitness floor supervision, consultations, test scheduling and other related services as required (i.e. Family Swim and Gym, health fairs, etc.)
- Provide assistance in every area of the Fitness Department to ensure appropriate staff coverage.
- Plan and conduct weekly/monthly meetings with all Fitness Area Coordinators and associates.
- Responsible for scheduling and training procedures for all associates related to emergency and building procedures, CPR/AED.
- Encourage staff professional growth through training, supervision, empowerment and feedback.
- Present a positive image of good health and fitness through a positive attitude and a healthy role model for all Fitness Staff and members.
- Operate within the departmental operating budget and suggest requests for Fitness Department operating expenses.
- Address all member and staff concerns regarding fitness services and provide prompt and customer friendly follow up.
- Review and evaluate fitness programs and services based on attendance, cost-effectiveness and member interest.
- Coordinate student internship programs to allow a positive learning experience to qualified graduate and undergraduate students.
- Oversee all physician approval and clearance procedures.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all fitness equipment to include preventative maintenance, servicing machines and re-upholstering.
- Participate in Manager on Duty shifts as needed.
- Approve employees time cards within ADP.
- Attend Kroc Council management meeting weekly.
- Seeks ways to improve efficiency and attention to detail in the departments.
- Maintain friendly well trained and customer service oriented staff and inter-department relationships.
- Maintain knowledge of all events and activities being promoted within the center at all times.
- Provide input and/or conduct employee feedback sessions; including annual performance review.
- Assume Manager on Duty (MOD) responsibilities when scheduled.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Represent The Salvation Army’s spiritual and social mission
Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the individual who holds this important position.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Its facilities and vehicles provide a smoke and drug free work environment for all employees and volunteers.
It is expected that each employee will be familiar with The Salvation Army Handbook for Employees. Questions regarding its contents can be directed toward the Human Resource Department or Immediate Supervisor.
Bachelor degree in Exercise Science or related science required. Master of Science in exercise physiology preferred.
- ACSM Health Fitness Instructor and ACLS training preferred
- Minimum of two years management experience in a fitness facility
- Minimum of three years experience performing graded exercise test
- Requires excellent organizational and time management skills
- CPR/AED certification required
- Must have the ability to confidently speak and instruct groups of people consisting of individuals with varying age, experience, competency and cultural backgrounds.
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office and similar applications are preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR/First Aid certification within first 30 days of employment.
- Have a Philosophy of education and child development, which is consistent with that of the Center and The Salvation Army.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.