Function/Purpose: The Shelter Staff will provide on-site coverage and monitor guest activities in the shelter.
Schedule/Benefits: This individual will work when needed. This is a non-exempt position. See The Salvation Army Manual for a description of benefits.
Shelter Staff Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain a Safe and Secure Shelter Environment
a) Screens guest upon arrival and assess their ability to function within shelter guidelines.
b) Orient new guests to shelter guidelines.
c) Monitor all activities within the shelter facility ensuring that all guests adhere to establish rules.
d) Respond appropriately to needs and requests of shelter guests - Resolve conflicts.
e) Encourage, support and motivate guests, in order to foster cooperative participation within the shelter community.
f) Maintain log of events to relay pertinent information to shelter staff.
g) Field all phone inquiries and make appropriate referrals when necessary.
2. Maintain clean and orderly Shelter environment
a) Implement established procedures for keeping the kitchen, common and sleeping areas clean by supporting volunteer and guest efforts.
b) Monitor use of laundry and distribution of towels and bedding.
c) Assist in preparing, serving and clean up of meals, as needed supervising guest participation.
d) Maintain inventory of shelter supplies and relay needs to the Program Director.
3. Attend and participate in staff meetings (monthly, weekly, individual).
4. Maintain and update the shelter log book when appropriate. Read the log upon arrival to your shift.
5. Establish a positive environment by encouraging, supporting, and motivating our clients.
6. Drive the van to pick up deliveries if needed.
7. Work as a team player. Assists others when possible.
8. Perform all duties in compliance with The Salvation Army’s policies and regulations governing staff and guest relationships, hours of work, and holidays. Represent The Salvation Army. Refer persons with spiritual needs to The Salvation Army officer who is an ordained minister of religion.
9. All other duties integral to the position.