Under the supervision of the UPK center director, the cook is primary responsible for preparing and serving all food in the center and for maintaining the kitchen in a sanitary and efficient condition. Additionally, the cook is responsible for the supervision and training of other staff assigned to kitchen or food service responsibilities.
- Follow individual work schedule provided by the director to indicate specific responsibilities and the time scheduled for them.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationship with other staff, children, parents and visitors to the center.
- Cooperates in total staff effort designed to improve the center’s services.
- Participates in periodic individual conferences and regular staff meetings as scheduled by the Director.
- As a means of promoting staff unity and providing opportunities for information exchange, participation in staff parties and attendance to parents meeting are also encouraged but not required.
- Prepare, cook and serve food according to CACFP recommended practices/standards.
- Follow weekly menus made in consultation with the director. Confer with director when menu changes are indicated, i.e., necessary substitution or the use of leftovers.
- Apportionment of food for children’s groups according to need.
- Make local food purchase when necessary.
- Wash dishes and utensils according to sanitary practices.
- Keep kitchen and storeroom in clean, sanitary and orderly condition, i.e., range, sink, refrigeration, cupboards.
- Keep kitchen equipment and utensils in good condition.
- Place kitchen garbage in designated covered receptacle.
- In the absence of a helper, the cook shall wash dishtowels and truck covers.
- Keep simple inventory of food and household supplies on hand as needed.
- Inform director of needed food supplies, repairs, and replacement of kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Be responsible for storing or for supervising the storage of all food and household supplies.